Meet terere. We think it's ace.
It's fair to say yerba mate is absolutely huge in South America. It's enjoyed by old and young and much feted to be a cure all for a number of different ailments especially when combined with the remedios that are so closely associate with it. Those in the west may know it best as a regular in the hand of a number of different South American footballers, including Messi who was famously pictured cuddling the World Cup alongside his mate at the end of 2022.
In much of South America yerba mate is drank hot but in Paraguay where it is very hot, the herb is drank with lots of iced water and is referred to as terere. Here again it is very common to add remedios in order to combat a number of different health issues, including hangovers.
If you're keen to know more about the health benefits of terere, cruise over here but here are some of the health and wellbeing claims in bullet point form:
- Gives you energy without the jitters from coffee
- Boosts to mental functionality
- Tonnes of vitamins, minerals & antioxidants
- Boosts to the immune system
- Weight loss aids
- Works as a digestive and elimination product
- Increases bone density
- Helps keep your heart healthy
- A controversially one...some say it kills cancer...